• Asbestos is a mineral that releases tiny health-harming fibres during the mining
process and when used in construction and manufacturing.
• When we inhale or ingest asbestos fibres they enter our lungs and can cause
disability and disease many years later.
• Asbestosis and malignant mesothelioma are both associated with asbestos exposure.
• Although many workers in Canada were exposed regularly to asbestos fibres in the
past, much has been done to remove this hazard from homes and workplaces.
• Canada is the world’s second largest exporter of asbestos and continues to sell the
mineral to developing countries that may not have the capacity to handle the mineral
in ways that prevent harm.